Friday, April 10, 2009

Lets talk about where we can find good food; raw, vegetarian, vegan, and organic. Whole Foods, a great place with a great food buffet, but you gotta go on the right days or your stuck with a lot of stews and pasty stuff. Salad bar is pretty good but pricey! We'll talk later on that. Whole Food's selection is okay if your looking Organic Stuff. Free range meats and poultry, fresh fish and a huge deli area where you can get what ever you want. Free range is where the animal can roam freely, and not couped up in a tight ass, shitty, stink and unsanitary area. For example when you buy eggs, some brands say organic, vegetarian, free range eggs. That means that the chickens are fed vegetarian diets and no steroids or other crap injected or given to them. FYI eating eggs is not a part of a vegan lifestyle, maybe vegetarian. BUT for the Rawfoodist a raw egg is the best! I'm still trying to find recipes for the raw egg besides eating it by itself and making homemade mayo. Stay tuned. An egg that is raw, fertilized, organic and free range will provide you the most nutrients that you'll ever have. Salmonella you ask? Well only 1 in 30,000 eggs will contain the salmonella(2002 U.S Dept of Agriculture officially acknowledged this statement). By the way I found this bit of info in Carol Alt's "RAW 50". A great book to start your Raw journey. These figures are for egg producers that don't care about being organic, and free range. You can probably see how much better those eggs are from healthier companies. Organic eggs might be a little more expensive but well worth the taste and freshness. Sam's Club sells those organic eggs for cheap, almost half the price of your local markets. Nothing beats having your own chicken. Quality control is all you! Personally if I had a chicken I could not eat a egg from her. Its just me. Overall Whole Foods is a pretty cool place for hot meals, some fresh produce, and good ass fish, but your gonna pay the price. Eh! If anyone who reads this from Whole Foods, please start up a Kama'aina card or something, times are hard! If your looking for answers about rawfoods or where to get started with it, that is not the place. They couldn't even tell me if they had germinating/sprouting bowls. Guess what! Its a regular jar or bowl that's it. So really ask questions with different people and you might find your answer or just hang on my blog and learn with me and even teach me a thing or two. We're all in it together.
Next is Umeke Market in Kahala, right next to Petland. I haven't been there since researching raw, but I know that they have a great selection on bulk oats @a great deal. especially quinoa(keen-wa) this is some good stuff. They have a deli that serves free range meat burgers and vegetarian dishes. I'm gonna go back to get more info but they do know their stuff.
Kale's in Hawaii Kai. These people are true to the lifestyle, they know vegan vegetarian and raw. They got raw almonds, oats, honey's, agave nectar's and all kinds of stuff. I highly recommend them because of their great knowledge in this area.
Last but not least. Down to Earth. Probably the first health food store in the islands if not, then the most popular. People who work there are vegans or vegetarians so they know their stuff. I haven't been there in a while but I will pay a visit and drop some great knowledge and info for you. I'll also add some pictures and keep everyone updated with my finds. If anyone has some underground, hole in the wall store drop me a line and I'll post it up. Have a good night, please sign up as a follower, execise, eat well and stop animal cruelty! Later!

2 comments:

  1. Dunno if I have the time to actually follow the food, but can ask my dad to pick stuff up for me when I know what I like. As for a club card for whole foods.... If there's certain things u want let me know. My dad gets 20%

    ReplyDelete
  2. kokua market on king st. that place is awesome
    :) or go to that open market they got at HCC on the weekend. can find good local organic stuff there...

    ReplyDelete